- I now pronounce you man and wife.
- Did you see that chick over there?
- Asian people are really short. Most of the women are about five feet and the men aren’t much taller.
- He can’t help it. You know, boys will be boys.
- Look at how she dances! She’s so gay!
- Blacks are really confrontational.
- I can’t believe Sarah kept her last name when she married.
- My friend Ranjet is from India, but he acts like a regular guy.
- John stayed home to babysit his son while his wife ran a few errands.
- I know a male nurse and a woman pilot.
Why do you think that these types of statements are commonly accepted? What are some of the ways that people justify using sexist, racist or heterosexist language? How do you feel about the ways people justify using this type of language?
How would you respond to these questions?