âPart 2: Annotated Bibliography on the topic
For the second part of this assignment, you will list research materials in bibliographic form that you have found on your topic and evaluate these sources as an annotated bibliography. For your reference, here is a guideline on annotated bibliography. You should find five sources as follows:
Note: You are at liberty to use a range of types of research strategies. One helpful strategy is to go to the Northern Virginia Community College Librarysite. There you can search for a variety of types of sources.
- One Book: If you are doing a speech relevant to your major, consider a text book for this. If you draw on the NVCC library, click on the tab at the library webpage for “Books and eBooks.”
- One Scholarly Journal Article: Journals can be located by using a specialized database in a given academic field by clicking on the tab for “Research Guides” and selecting your field, or use the “Articles” tab and then choose “Recommended Databases for Most Topics” to find a more general database. Good starting points for this are Academic Search Complete click the box for Academic (Peer Reviewed) Journals. Another useful tool is ProQuest, where you can click on Proquest Research Library to select a field of academic inquiry. Each of these resources will also enable you to limit your search to full-text sources.
- One Newspaper or Magazine Article: From the NVCC Library page, select “Articles” and then “Recommended Databases for Most Topics.” The best sources to use in terms of breadth of topics available are Academic Search Complete where you can narrow to newspapers, or Proquest and select Proquest Newstand.
- One Credible Website or Media Clip: As you select websites, draw on the criteria for judging the credibility of Internet materials found in Chapter Six of our text. For media materials, the NVCC library includes a tab for Audio and Video.
- The fifth resource is your choice
WRITE A SPEECH PLAN ON THE TOPIC: ” MICROSOFT COMPANY”
For each of these sources, do the following:
- Write the APA format citation that you would include in your references list. Formatting for each type of material can be found in Chapter Six. Be sure to distinguish between APA format and MLA. NOTE: If you have any questions about APA style and annotated bibliography, you may post your questions in the Ask a Librarian Forum. ELI librarians are here to help you!
- List your sources by alphabetic order, using the last name of the primary author of each work you are citing.
- Write a one paragraph summary of the source using your own words. Make sure to label the type of source (e.g., Book, Website, Journal Article, etc.).
- Write another paragraph evaluating the source. Will it be a helpful source to include in your speech? Why or why not? How does it provide information that will demonstrate the main points that you will develop in your speech and/or provide information for connecting with your audience?
Type and single space your responses using 12 point Times New Roman font.
For your reference, here is a sample annotated bibliography, Example Annotated Bibliography.pdf.